Philadelphia, PA, USA •
- A talented software developer and architect known for clarity, in both communication and code.
- An organized, resourceful self-starter, persistent and results-focused.
- A flexible team player, cultivating positive relationships and culture of “best idea wins.”
LANGUAGES & TECHNOLOGIES
Yale University (New Haven, CT) Ph.D., Computer Science
Macalester College (St. Paul, MN) B.A. summa cum laude, Math & Physics
10/2012 – present: Software Developer, Azavea, Inc. (Philadelphia, PA)
- Full-stack developer for geospatial web applications. (Python/Django, C#/ASP.NET,
10/2009 – 6/2012: Principal Software Developer, BioNano Genomics (Philadelphia, PA)
- Lead developer for NanoStudio software suite, allowing scientists to organize, analyze, and visualize data from startup company's novel DNA molecule imaging instrument. Designed and built core extensible framework for data organization and analysis. Developed DNA mapping algorithms. Supervised 2 developers, attending to architecture and GUI details. (C#, Java, .NET 4.0, WinForms, JSON, Mono/Linux)
1/2008 – 9/2009: Owner & Developer, Vocola (Philadelphia, PA)
- Designed and developed Vocola voice control software, allowing easy creation and management of voice commands for Windows desktops using Windows Speech Recognition or Dragon NaturallySpeaking; hundreds of users. (C#, .NET 3.5, Perl, Python)
- User comments: “Wonderful blend of simplicity, ease of use, flexibility, and power.” “Vocola has done more to keep the original creativity and utility of voice recognition going than anything Nuance has done in all the years they have had Dragon.” “Pretty damn brilliant.”
1/2000 – 5/2007: Software Architect, Bitstream, Inc. (Cambridge, MA)
- Team leader of NuDoc, the core Pageflex layout/editing engine. Proposed and managed $1.4M contract for major customer; hired and supervised team of 6; planned, tracked, and delivered releases. Also designed, built, and documented thorough DOM-like scripting API, which has saved the day on many customer projects. (C#, C++, XML, Perl)
- Lead contributor of US Patent 6,826,727, for flexible page layout technology. After claims initially rejected, wrote rebuttal resulting in 70% of claims being accepted.
- Major contributor creating Pageflex .EDIT (web-based WYSIWYG editing of rich documents), on client applet (Java), edit server (C++), and communication layer (HTTP).
- Frequent “go-to” person. Co-worker comments: “You're the only one here who can really explain things.” “You explain the underlying concepts rather than just answering my question.”
- Organized multi-product code repository; automated builds/releases. (Perl, Visual Studio, CVS)
- Designed bug and feature tracking database in Lotus Notes, still in use.
9/1992 – 1/2000: Director of NuDoc Development, Archetype, Inc. (Waltham, MA)
(initially Senior Software Developer)
- Led development of NuDoc page layout and editing technology, supporting a series of OEM products and projects. Wrote design documents, trained developers, performed and supervised design, implementation, and testing of features; planned, tracked, and delivered releases. (C++)
- Formalized strict API between applications and engine, with centralized autogeneration for reference counting, “undo” functionality, documentation, and interfaces for different application languages. (C++, ObjectiveC, C, Perl)
- Designed Template Style Language for formatting XML documents (before CSS or XSLFO existed), led implementation, and wrote 90-page user manual. Still in use.
- Designed and supervised development of a comprehensive and efficient automated test suite for document formatting and layout capabilities and interactive editing operations. (SilkTest, C++, Perl)
6/1986 – 9/1991: Research Assistant, Yale Univ Dept of Computer Science (New Haven, CT)
- Designed, implemented and evaluated techniques for efficient execution of fine-grained parallel Lisp programs. Designed and implemented parallel combinator reduction engine on Connection Machine.
- Published and presented 3 well-received technical articles for major conferences.
- Teaching Assistant for Systems Programming, Data Structures, & Computer Graphics courses.
ON THE SIDE
2009: Owner & Developer, Enerdelphia (Philadelphia, PA)
- Created Enerdelphia.net, an online directory of Philadelphia-area clean energy organizations and resources.